Electrical Safety Tips for Your Raleigh Home
Get the Support You Need from the Master Electricians at Zar Electric
It is no secret that electricity is dangerous, but it is also a vital part of our everyday lives. It is crucial that you are always proactive about ensuring your safety and the safety of those around you when dealing with any electrical appliance. If you suspect a problem, always call a professional, highly-trained Raleigh electrician to fix the issue safely. For your safety, never try to fix an electrical problem on your own.
At Zar Electric, we are committed to educating our customers about how to keep themselves and their property safe from dangerous electrical conditions. We believe that knowledge is empowering, and we are always here for our customers when they have questions. For over 20 years, we have been part of the Wake Forest community, serving Wake Forest, Raleigh, and the surrounding areas. We want everyone to feel safe, whether in their home, apartment, office, business, or school.
Things to Remember When Dealing with Your Electrical System
We tend to take our electrical system for granted. We expect our lights to work when we flip a switch, and we expect our outlets to power our various appliances and devices. There is nothing more frustrating than when something goes wrong. However, there are some things you can keep in mind to help you protect yourself and to get the most out of your electrical system.
Important electrical safety tips everyone should know include:
- Do not overload a circuit by plugging too many cords into it
- Do not use extension cords as permanent fixtures
- Do not run extension cords under carpets or in front of doors
- Do not put a fork, knife, or another metal object in a toaster
- Do not attempt to fix damaged wires, outlets, or switches yourself
- Never pull a cord to disengage a plug from a wall as this will damage both the outlet and the appliance or fixture
- Do not put your finger or other objects that do not belong there into an outlet or socket
- Never use any appliances with damaged cords or exposed wires
If you are in a situation where an electrical fire breaks out, never use water to try and put it out. This can cause severe and even fatal electrocution. Instead, do your best to avoid panic and immediately cut off the power to the area. If you are dealing with a small electrical appliance on fire, you can unplug it from the outlet, or if it is a more significant issue, you can cut power at the electrical panel. It is essential that during an electrical fire, you see to your safety and the safety of your family, and to call local fire emergency services.
Many customers ask us what the best way to protect their homes from electrical problems is. Our number one tip is to stay up to date with your electrical maintenance routine, including your annual electrical inspection. While performing maintenance on your electrical system, our electricians will identify any problem areas or repair issues, and help fix them before they cause significant problems.
More electrical safety tips include:
- Keep electricity away from water sources
- Be very careful when using electrical appliances in kitchens and bathrooms
- Lamps should always be level and not placed near flammable items
- Only use recommended watt bulbs in all light fixtures
- Do not leave small children unattended around outlets and electrical appliances
- Do not go swimming in any body of water or pool when you hear thunder or see lightning
- Do not climb electricity poles
- Do not go near downed power lines
Stay Alert to Potential Electrical Problems
In addition to practicing proper safety around your electrical system, you can also pay attention to signs that your system has a problem. Issues like flickering lights, scorch marks around outlets, switches and outlets that are warm to the touch, and outlets or switches that do not function are all signs of electrical problems. Additionally, if your circuit breakers trip frequently or you have issues with wildlife nesting in your electrical connections and panels, you should schedule an appointment with our Raleigh electricians. Based in Wake Forest, Zar Electric offers superior electrical repairs and honest, flat rate pricing. We believe everyone deserves a safe, comfortable home. Let us use our passion and experience to help you.
They did a great job! I'm very happy with the work they did!
Zar Electric did a good job on the work. There was a lot of stuff and they did it well. I was very pleased. I went to school with a couple of the guys, so I've known them for a long time.- Tim K.
Zar Electric is awesome. They are fantastic. I'm happy to recommend them.- Leila M.
Based on the people I dealt with, they are a quality company!
Zar Electric repaired an electrical light switch for me. This was my first experience with them. They were punctual and professional people. And also very friendly and kind people! They are a quality company!- Laurence T.